Tuesday, 5 November 2013

The 5th November Bonfire Night

'Remember, Remember, the 5th of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot'

After doing my reading at research room, I walked down to undergrad building just to greet one of a staff. Poor him have to work till midnight. Lol! Luckily, they invited me to play sparklers! And I was like "let's play and do a story telling about these sparklers and fireworks after this" They were super excited to tell the story but with a condition, we have to walk to the House of Parliament and sit there with a cup of coffee and cookies.

The story begins, they have this celebration for over 400 years and celebrate it every year with fireworks, firecrackers and sparklers when November begin. This is a remembrance of King James I that saved from getting blown up by Guy Fawkes. Why Guy Fawkes and conspirators hate King James I? It is because Britain practices protestant and Guy Fawkes and other conspirators are Catholics. At that time, King James I had announced that no one could practice Catholic! Because of that, Guy Fawkes had planned to blow up the House of Parliament on 5th of November 1605. However, the plan wasn't successful as King James I received a note from one of the MP saying 'do not go to the House of Parliament, something bad will happen'. This note was sent by one of a conspirator as in his thought, 'there are quite a number of MP that practice catholic (secretly)'. So, I make it short. Guy Fawkes and all conspirators got caught and King James I proudly announced to all people to celebrate the night as he saved and the place is saved from getting blown up. Imagine what would happen if the mission is successful? There'll be many innocent people will get killed. 

If we ask the kids here, 'Who is trying to blow up the House of Parliament?', they would definitely answer 'Guy Fawkes!!!'

What a great night tonight.

Got to share some photos, enjoy!.




'Practice Puts Brains in Your Muscles',

Peace,
Dyana Zainudin.